Do I need a mold release?

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

This question comes via email by Heather:

Hi I was wondering if I use 2 part epoxy resin in a silicone or plastic candy mold do I need to use a release spray first? And if so what type? Thanks!

• #5315 Reply
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Heather,

Great question! I will break it down based upon the mold.

First and foremost, I ALWAYS use a mold release when I’m casting. It will prolong the life of your mold and make it easier to get your castings out.

When it comes to using silicone molds, oftentimes, properly cured resin will demold without any problems. However, if there are any problems (gooey resin, mold with lots of undercuts), using mold release may be the only saving grace to get it out. Also as the silicone mold ages, it will become brittle. It may tear or crumble if you don’t use a mold release.

In my opinion, plastic candy molds don’t make good resin molds. They are generally not flexible enough to get out resin castings, even if a mold release is used. If you wanted to try however, I would use the Petrolease mold release, as it is my go-to release for difficult castings. You can find it here: http://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/tools-and-supplies/products/petrolease-non-silicone-food-grade-mold-release

If you wanted a mold release to cover your silicone and plastic molds designed for resin, the Castin’ Craft mold release will do you fine. You can find it here: http://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/tools-and-supplies/products/castin-craft-mold-release-conditioner

On a side note, once you use candy molds for resin, please don’t use them for food again.

• #12519 Reply
      Nerys

Hello,

Thanks for all the information you provide on your website, it is very helpful.

I have one question that I’ve tried to answer from the forums but I still haven’t managed to.

I live in Turkey (I’m from the U.K. originally) and I’m trying to find a suitable Mold Release Spray.

The only ones that are available are silicon sprays, they seem similar but the packaging looks more industrial. There are two reasons that could be: here they aren’t very big on nice packaging. The other reason could be that it’s not suitable!

If you could advise me I would be so grateful.

Many thanks,

Nerys

• #13461 Reply
      julie

Hi.. i have been using mold casting conditioner release on my silicone molds.. it does help release the piece, however, it is leaving a cloudy residue on my casting..and I have tried mineral spirits to remove..but is not working.. do you know what would remove the residue?

Thank you

Julie2

• #13636 Reply
      Andy

for a smaller mold, like 4-6 inches or smaller depending on the intricacy of mold, i tried a little trick, after the resin set in the mold for the required time, i put the resin in mold in the freezer for 2-3 minutes and take it out and the resin result popped out of the mold. make sure not to bend your mold and crack it.. 😉

• #14290 Reply
      Melissa

Hi. I was wondering if I can use a food grade silicone spray as a mold release in silicone molds?

• #14293 Reply
        Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Hmm. I don’t know. Is this a spray for making food safe silicone molds? If so, you probably can.

• #15613 Reply
      Frances Laube

Hello, I purchased my resin supplies from you recently. I am using Eject it mold release 33 petrolease. I am using intricate molds, am I able to brush this release as you did with the release you used in your video?

Thank you,
      Frances

• #15614 Reply
        Frances Laube

No it is not food safe. It’s what was suggested for molds that maybe used in candy molds or intricate molds you wrote about it in one of your tutorials

• #15615 Reply
        Frances Laube

Yes I believe the mold is food safe, I ment the release isn’t but than you know that already

• #15617 Reply
          Katherine Swift
          Keymaster

Hi Frances,

Yes, you can brush the mold release into mold like I show in the video.

The Petrolease mold release can be used for secondary contact with food or medical applications, not direct contact. For example, using it to make a mold of an item for food purposes is possible, but the spray should not be sprayed on molds like cooking spray.

• #39715 Reply
      Radha

Hello,
      I am using epoxy resin to make small furniture, ( stool, center table, floor standing lampsetc.) but i want to use silicone mould for that.. Is that silicone mould is durable for making furniture in wood with resin? Should i use releser for silicone mould to remove epoxy resin from it?

• #83611 Reply
      Kendra B

Oh No …my very first attempt today.. I did not use a mold release. Guess in 24 hrs I’ll find out if it’s stuck.. Doh! Also need to invest in some latex gloves.. Gotta Love a 1st timer novice..

• #83623 Reply
      Jadelyn

Katherine, is there a particular mold release you’d recommend for use with a plastic cookie cutter? I’m working on a project that I needed a specific shape in a specific size for, and could only find in a plastic cookie cutter, not a metal one. The listing for the cookie cutter says it’s “PLA plastic”. Some of the mold releases say they’re for silicone or rubber molds, so I wasn’t sure how they’d work for plastic.

• #83633 Reply
      Jadelyn

Thanks!

• #83983 Reply
      Arielle Haze Mayer

I was wondering…

1) Can you use mold release on the silicone molds the day before you plan to fill the molds with resin, or does it need to be closer to 30 min prior to filling the mold?

2) Should you spray mold release into the silicone mixing cups? If so, how long should they dry before using them for mixing?

• #83986 Reply
        Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Hi Arielle,

Yes, you can spray the mold release the day before. That’s awesome you are thinking that far ahead.

I haven’t tried using it on silicone cups, but I like that idea. I would love to see if it helps to get out the little drops of resin that tend to be quite aggravating to remove.

• #84694 Reply
      Patrick

I’m new to the resin art game 🙂 I recently prepared some translucent silicone molds with Castin Craft Mold Release and they dried white and flaky. That didnt seem right so I washed them off and now I’m unsure if I should use this release agent with these molds? I dont want flakes or an impression to be left on the surface. I had previously tested the release agent an opaque ice tray and all turned out fine. There was no release agent residue when it dried and the pieces came out easily. I dont know if the tray is made of something other than silicone? It is flexible but not as soft as the verified silicone molds. Is Castin Craft Mold Release not intended for silicone? Am I applying it wrong? I spray the molds then used a brush to even it out. I then let it dry for a few hours. Is there a better alternative? Help! Thanks in advance 🙂

• #84699 Reply
        Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Hi Patrick,

It sounds like you might be applying too much mold release. You only need a light mist. Think perfume, not cooking spray.

Could that have been what was going on?

• #85135 Reply
      Claudia Ramirez

I’m hoping you can answer this question! I’ve struggled to find a solid answer anywhere. I’m using epoxy resin in a 12”H x 10”W x 2”D smooth, shiny, metal letter R to make a clear cast. I have been unable to find a mold to my liking and this “wine cork holder” is perfect…except it’s metal. Is there a good release agent I could use for this? Or would I be better off just making a positive and pouring my own mold? What I’m using is here: Wine Letter Cork Holder Art Wall Décor ~ Metal Letter Wine Cork Holder Monogram ~ Individual Wine Letter Cork Holders A Thru Z ~ Gifts for Wine Lovers ~ by HouseVines (R) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085VCLPP7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_B0lgFbKHQ773H

Viewing 13 reply threads
Reply To: Do I need a mold release?
Your information: