Do I need to polish sanded resin on a painting before adding the next layer?

Resin jewelry making resin art supplies Forums Resin Painting Do I need to polish sanded resin on a painting before adding the next layer?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Katherine Swift 6 months, 4 weeks ago.

• Author

LaDon

I had raised areas that I sanded to get a more even flow. Do I need to polish those areas to a shine before adding another layer? Will the fine scratches and cloudy area show through? I’m pretty new to this and greatly appreciate your help.
    Thanks!
    LaDon

• #11938 Reply

Katherine Swift
    Keymaster

Yes, the scratches will show. You need to finish sanding with a 1000 grit or higher sandpaper before pouring the next layer of resin.

• #22625 Reply

Nancy Crockett

I painted and epoxied my bathroom countertop. It lolooks great except for some bubbles. I believe I didnt let the temperature be warm enough. Can I sand with 1000 grit and the put another layer on? I was considering putting glitter on countertop and applying 2nd coat, would that work and hide bubbles? Thanks

• #22655 Reply

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Nancy,

Yes, sanding down the resin then recoating will allow you to get rid of the bubbles. Start with a coarse sandpaper (like a 400 grit), then sand it down with finer grits ending with 1000 or higher. One thousand grit sandpaper won’t take off much resin to start.

Reply To: Do I need to polish sanded resin on a painting before adding the next layer?
Your information: