Do I need to polish sanded resin on a painting before adding the next layer?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      LaDon

I had raised areas that I sanded to get a more even flow. Do I need to polish those areas to a shine before adding another layer? Will the fine scratches and cloudy area show through? I’m pretty new to this and greatly appreciate your help.
      Thanks!
      LaDon

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Yes, the scratches will show. You need to finish sanding with a 1000 grit or higher sandpaper before pouring the next layer of resin.

Nancy Crockett

I painted and epoxied my bathroom countertop. It lolooks great except for some bubbles. I believe I didnt let the temperature be warm enough. Can I sand with 1000 grit and the put another layer on? I was considering putting glitter on countertop and applying 2nd coat, would that work and hide bubbles? Thanks

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Hi Nancy,

Yes, sanding down the resin then recoating will allow you to get rid of the bubbles. Start with a coarse sandpaper (like a 400 grit), then sand it down with finer grits ending with 1000 or higher. One thousand grit sandpaper won’t take off much resin to start.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Do I need to polish sanded resin on a painting before adding the next layer?’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube