Does resin adhere to wood?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

This question comes from Pat?

Does any of the resin adhere to hardened resin? I want to make several square base mold (489). Then put strips of wood in between the squares (like tiles with grout). Then I want to pour more resin over the squares and wood. Will the two resins attach seamlessly?

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Pat,

A few comments regarding your situation.

1. I have had good luck with ‘like adhering to like’, even if they were different brands. For example, I have used one brand’s epoxy on another brand’s epoxy and have not had problems with things adhering. From what I know about polyester and epoxy, I would expect it to work there too, assuming the first layer had completely cured. I haven’t specifically tried this though, so proceed with caution.

2. As for the wood, epoxy would be my choice to use in this project. Polyester resin will shrink too much after curing. It may even shrink so much it doesn’t stick to the wood! Polyurethanes can be used with wood, but your wood will need to be dry and sealed first. Polyurethanes hate moisture.

3. As for ‘seamlessly’, yes, they will attach, but a seam may show depending on how you color it, if you color it, etc. Pouring the next layer while the first layer is curing will minimize the seam.

Good luck!

Linda roberts

Does the wood need to cure or dry before doing ag a resin river table.

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Yes, the wood needs to be dried and sealed before including the resin. If not, the resin may not cure or may cure with a bunch of bubbles.

Ryan

Is there a risk of the resin and wood joint separating when using multiple planks and resin infills?

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Yes, depending on the resin you use. You want to use one that has the least amount of shrinkage.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Does resin adhere to wood?’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube