Does unused resin have an expiration date?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Ann

Ive been using Envirotex Lite resin for five or six years to make my photo jewelry. I notice that if I dont use it for a while, the hardener in the bottle turns yellowish in color. I called the company and asked if resin gets old and if there is a date after which its no longer good, and the person said it does not get old. Ive noticed however that when I use my "older" resin, I have lots of tiny bubbles that I cant get rid of.  This doesnt happen when I use fresh resin. Does anyone know if resin expires?

Katherine Swift

Ann,

I recommend only purchasing enough resin that you can comfortably use within 6 months.  After that, many resins will continue to cure, but as you have noticed, have a yellow tint to them.  Also be sure to store it in a cool, dark area that doesnt experience temperature swings.  The bottom of a closet works well for this.

T

Yes. All of the resins I have worked with are pre-promoted and have a six month shelf life. I have been able to extend that a couple of months by keeping the resin in a cool place. I keep mine in the basement which maintains a steady fifty-eight degrees.

A.C. Romig

OK, this is good to know. I’d rather not throw my expired resin in the landfill, does anyone know how to dispose of it properly?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Does unused resin have an expiration date?’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube