Encasing paper in polyester resin

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

This question comes from James:

what im trying to do, is create a encased piece of abalone shell paper, in a resin, approximately 140mm long and 45mm across and 6mm thick, with the shell at the bottom, for a set of scales, but what keeps happening to me is they curve upwards like a banana, im using a polyester as i need to be able to use a buffing wheel to polish ,,

may i please ask if you would share with me a solution, if there is one,

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi James, what a neat project!

What I would try is to pour a thin layer first to keep the paper flat. Once that layer starts to cure (I’m guessing 30 to 60 minutes), pour the next layer(s). By pouring additional layers while the first layers have started to gel should minimize the lines between layers.

james.

thanks mate, it was on the cards to try a multi layer pour, but have been having a few adhesion issues with the polyester with the abalone paper, i started with epoxy, and had virtually no bending, but then found out the limitations for my application. and a weird ridge line appeared from one end to the other,, hmmm.. about to try a alumilite type resin, do you think a pressure pot could help?

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Hmm. I wouldn’t expect adhesion issues with paper, but I haven’t worked with abalone paper. Is it waxy in any way?

A pressure pot will help with bubbles, but not adhesion issues.

james

hi mate, thanks for your reply, yes they are a shell set in a laminate of some nature,, just peals off the poly, was thinking a pressure pot may prevent bending..hmm, i do have some adhesion promotor for polyester, was going to try a wet and dry rub back of the shell, some promotor and try the multi pour, will keep you up to date, i just picked up some hardened epoxy that can be buffed up quite nice apparently, will play with that a bit, but im becoming obsessed great fun, thanks mate..
      James..

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

I think the sandpaper will help. Yes please, let me know how it goes.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Encasing paper in polyester resin’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube