Expanding resin

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Amber

Hello I’m trying a new technique to color my resin other than the dyes because they were transparent and expensive. Long story short I tried using acrylic paint to dye the resin but after an hour the resin expanded so much that it was pouring out of the mold. I used 8% of the total volume of the resin (I heard you shouldn’t use over 10%). This is the first time it’s done this. The night before I set up tests to see which % would be best to use and it didn’t expand when I did that. I have pictures of what it looks like expanded but I’m not sure how to add them. Does any one know why this happened and what I can do to prevent this?

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Amber,

I’m sorry this happened to you. Unfortunately, because of the moisture content in acrylic paint, it doesn’t always work with resin.

Amber

Thanks for the response. I did some more research and long story short it got overheated and expanded because of it. I tried another time with fans on the mold and it helped with very little expansion this time. So if anyone else has this problem then just make sure it doesn’t get overheated. Let the piece cure in a cool room with a fan or A/C blowing on it and it should help.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Expanding resin’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube