Feather Earring Idea…will it work?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Kami

I’ve not worked with resin before. I was hiking and I found a red-tailed hawk flight feather. I knew I could simply set it in a cup with my pencils as per the usual…but this time I wanted it to last and get a lot of love and views.

I sanitized the feather and cleaned it.

I want dangling feather earrings…as natural looking as possible. However, I want them protected somehow because they will fall apart if just naked feathers dangling.

I plan on buying ICE resin mix and dipping the feathers in it…and hang drying them. Maybe double coating it after
      the first coat dries if needed.

Then I was going to take a dab of glue gun glue to the tops of the feather stalk to somehow secure them to a bead and earring hook. In such a way as the glue doesnt show (like a cap cover or big bead)

Mainly, I’m curious if the resin can work like that. This is my first resin project so I really dont know…was going to try it on a few trial feathers first.

Curious if anyone knew already what will happen?

Thanks!

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Kami,

Yes, it would work, but you won’t have a thick coat of resin over your feathers. If I were to do this, I would put the feathers onto wax paper and pool the resin over the feathers. It will spread a little. You may need to help it a little in order to get two shapes that match. Allow to cure, then peel off the wax paper. The way you want to hang them should work.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

This is the concept for what I’m trying to describe: http://iloveresin.blogspot.com/2015/01/free-form-resin-shapes.html

Erin

I’m a little late to the party but in case you’re still undecided…
      I haven’t tried casting feathers in resin yet, but I have been researching the idea and just ordered some feathers… One tutorial I saw, the person used caulk on wax paper. I am going to try tracing the feather onto the back of the wax paper, then make an outline in caulk, ensure a tight seal, then use that as my “mold”.
      Whatever you try though, I would try on a junk feather before your nice one. 🙂

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Feather Earring Idea…will it work?’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube