Filling holes with resin

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

This question comes from Thomas:

Hey guys. I have a question. I’ve never done resin but really want to try it. I want to make glow in the dark resin to fill in some holes on a bottle opener. The opener is made of stainless. I understand I need to use masking tape on the back side to keep the resin in, and I’ve read your instructions on adding the glow powder. My question is what resin should I use? I’m fearful of using epoxy because I want it to be pretty hard. Here is a link to the item. I want to fill in the small holes on the left side and the eye hole on the top. Thanks for any and all help.

https://flic.kr/p/SHtfvC

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Thomas,

I think and epoxy could still work for you here. The Resin Obsession super clear resin cures hard, so I think it could work. I would suggest testing a piece first to make sure the hardness is appropriate for your needs.

On a technical note, here are a few other suggestions:

1. Did you want the resin flush with the metal? If so, you are going to have to over fill a smidge, then sand. Since it looks like your metal has been sanded this shouldn’t be a big issue.

2. Sometimes metal pieces like this can have a coating that may act as a mold release when pouring the resin. I would sand the inside of the cavities to make sure the resin can bind to fresh metal.

I would love to see how this turns out!

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The topic ‘Filling holes with resin’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube