Finishing polyester resin castings

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Marcia

Thanks Katherine, I polish by hand. Need to get a bench polisher.

I jyst tried sanding under water. Perfect. 
      Katherine Swift

Hi katherine,

I use polyester casting resin here in Hawaii, cant get your product here.  I cast bangle bracelets using your molds. They turn out perfect, clear, hard, glossy,
      beautiful. BUT, the top surface is always very slightly tacky. when I sand them they look a little gunked up, like the sand is going into the resin. I use a wet sandpaper starting with 300 grit on down to 1500.

I polish with polishing compound till I am literally exhausted. Still cant get them really glossy. What am I doing wrong?

I dont cover the castings after they are poured, could that be the problem? Can I paint a layer of resin over the complete piece? I tried different types of spray shellac etc.  Didnt work, gunked them up. I end up sanding the complete piece because of scratches that i cant help. I embed tiny pieces of fan coral in with seashells and they always scratch the mold, thus sand the whole piece.

Sure would would appreciate your help.

Mahalo,

Marcia

Katherine Swift

Hi Marcia,

Heres a few of my thoughts:

Wet sandpaper to get off the sticky side is good, but I would take it even further by sanding the piece underwater.  An old cookie sheet with sides works well for this.

What kind of polishing compound are you using?  I like using Fabulustre with a cotton wheel.  Are you using a polishing cabinet or a dremel tool?  I dont think a dremel tool works as well to get a high polish on polyester castings. 

Hope this helps.  🙂

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Finishing polyester resin castings’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube