Fixing bubbles in silicone molds

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

This question comes from Megan:

Hi! I’ve recently started (trying to) make my own silicone molds. With trial by error and your forum I’ve been able to fix most of my issues. I was wanting to ask about fixing air bubbles or small pockets left from the faster curing mold putties. I have not seen any way to fix the mold, just how to correct the finished casting. Would applying Rubber Cement, or a somehow diluted Rubber Cement smooth the mold surface?

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Megan,

I have not tried rubber cement for this. I would first try filling in the areas with wax. Maybe some warm candle wax dripped into the holes, then smoothed out with your fingers might work. Resin won’t stick to wax, but I don’t know about rubber cement.

If you do try rubber cement, would you mind letting me know how it goes?

Megan Flaherty

I had seen the wax suggestion, but I know that the wax would have to be applied for each casting and I’m lazy. I know that rubber cement bonds to silicone, so I imagine it would be a permanent fix. The fact that the idea doesn’t sound idiotic to the experts (you guys) gives me enough of an excuse to try out some things tonight 🙂
      I will let you know what happens!!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Fixing bubbles in silicone molds’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube