Fixing resin coaster defects

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

This question comes from Lori:

I’ve recently started trying my hand at making things with resin. However, I’ve had some issues with it. Like maybe spillage… Not sure how to describe it. But here are a couple of pics of 2 coasters I was making. When I leave any of my pieces to dry I have to lightly place a piece of wax paper over them to keep flying bugs from landing in them. (I live in a rural area and my workshop is separate from my house, so things tend to get in!) Unfortunately I don’t think there is a way to save these. I did try to buff the defective part on them, but it’s not quite clear enough. These are the before pics. If you have any suggestions I would greatly appreciate your help!

coaster defect

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Lori,

What happened is that the resin cured next to the wax paper. Wax paper is great in that resin doesn’t stick to it, but it does leave this mark. You can try recoating with another layer of resin, but you will most likely see the frosty surface underneath. You can try sanding the surface with a wet/dry sandpaper. Start with a 400 grit and work your way down to a 1000 grit or higher paper. You can recoat with resin then and should not be able to see the blemish.

It’s good that you want to cover your pieces during curing as dirt and dust will get into it in no time! In the future, I would suggest using plastic domes (large food containers or plastic totes work well) to cover your pieces.

Lyn Siciliano

I wondering if I can pour resin over dried resin to fill in any mistakes. I thought I poured the resin over my coaster but there are areas that don’t have resin like little places/patches.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Yes Lyn, that should work fine.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Fixing resin coaster defects’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube