General resin questions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Katherine Swift

This comes through email by Cory:

Hi there. I hope I can get a response. I know yall are really busy and thats always a good thing.
      🙂

I have a few questions.

I have been reading a whole lot on making resin jewelry and trying to figure out how to start.
      And I have lots of questions and Ill start with just a few.

Id like to start by making lever back earrings and posts stud earrings in either 10mm or 15mm I am wondering how will I be able to find a mold to make the cabochons for that size..
      Or do I have to pour the resin directly into the bezel?

Can I use nail polish to color the resin?
      Can I pour glitter in the resin?
      And what is the best resin to use for filling earring bezels?
      Do I always need to work in a warm area for resin to harden?

Katherine Swift

Hi Cory,Youre going to love resin!  Here are the answers to your questions:

1.  The easiest thing for the bezel cabochons is to pour the resin directly into the bezel.  If you want to make cabs that size to put into the earrings, I would suggest making a template of the size you want, then making a silicone mold from that template.

2.  I have no experience using nail polish within the uncured resin as a colorant.  I have tried it later as a glossy coating but found it to have a gritty finish to it.

3.  Glitter works very well in resin!  If you want it to stay mixed in the resin, you will need to get a very fine consistency glitter, otherwise, it will sink to the bottom.

4.  To fill earring bezels, use a doming resin.  The Resin Obsession crystal doming resin works very well for this.  https://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/resin/resin-obsession-crystal-doming-resin. 

A warm area is essential for your resin to cure properly.  The area needs to be in the 72 degree Fahrenheit range in order for it to work.

Good luck!

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The topic ‘General resin questions’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube