Getting resin out of a glass mold

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Katherine Swift

This question comes through email by Kelly:

I have a sorta off topic question about resin. I cant seem to get anyone to at least answer me so, my husband was trying to embed an object into basically a resin ball. The object has a metal pole coming off of it.so basically imagine a metal rod with a pool ball at the end but not has big. He ended up pouring the resin and letting set in a glass candle holder that had the shape he wanted. Im afraid I would have to tell hi, he will have to break the glass. Any answers would really help.

Katherine Swift

Hi Kelly,

Sadly, your husband is going to have to break the glass.  Im also concerned the glass isnt going to come off very neatly, meaning he will have to sand or grind off additional glass pieces.

I would be interested in knowing how things turn out.  Please share what happens!

melanie johnson

I need a certain mold shape that i can only fined in a glass candle holder. Is there a specific relese agent to use if you are using glass as a mold and wwant the resin to be able to be removed?

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Unfortunately, glass does not work as a resin mold. The mold needs to be flexible to release the resin.

Sergey

Hi Katherine,
          I need to get a fine smooth surface of epoxy by just pouring it onto glass surface. How can I release epoxy from glass in this case?
          Thank you in advance.
          Sergey

Katherine Swift
            Keymaster

Glass does not work as a resin mold. The mold needs to be flexible to release the resin.

Brandon

I’ve been interested in making a ship in a bottle except I would fill it with resin once everything’s in place. If I used a glass bottle (I have a bunch of glass Cheerwine bottles) then broke the glass bottle once the resin was set, do you think it would turn out okay? Or would it just break the resin as well?

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

No, I’m afraid it would not turn out okay. Resin sticks to glass quite well. Both will break.

carmela CARDINALE

Hi Katherine, just discovered you , love your projects, I’m a simple mom that wants to give a gift to my daughter preserving her wedding bouquet flowers, i have crazy ideas, like making her an ensemble for her dining table, that consists in glass pillar candle holders filled with the flowers embedded in the resin, to be the base of led candles and a center piece circular or oval made with resin with the flowers in, mounted on a glass vase that has the shape of a footed compote cup this will act as a base only,the center piece will be removable from the vase, my question is if i use the glass pillar filled with the flowers and the resin can i live them that way without breaking the glass?? I know this is to long but I’ve looked everywhere but everybody wants to brake the glass i ask why? if i get the effect i want that is preserving the flowers? can i live it that way?
      Thank you so much for your attention, and greatly will appreciate your advise, love
      Carmela

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Hi Carmela, resin sticks very well to glass (think glue). Since the glass isn’t flexible, there isn’t a way to flex the glass to get a casting out.

Sterling

I’ve ran into a similar circumstance. Put it in the freezer or use the plumbers trick for freezing pipes – Strap a dish sponge to the mold somehow (Zip-ties?), turn a can of compressed air upside down and insert the nozzle-straw into the area between the sponge and the mold and release some of the contents of the can. Again, make sure the can is upside down. Wear gloves and safety gear. I have to make castings in stiff materials. Metals, glass… etc. This trick works for me consistently. USE SAFETY GLASSES AND GLOVES. Do it outdoors as the anti-huffing compound stinks.

donna

Hello,

Love your website and thank you for sharing all the information you have. My question is some what the opposite. I can not find information on this, so I was wondering I have a miniature glass vase and I want to copy it. Will this work well with clear silicone mold and/or regular silicone mold. I would like to use UV resin that is why I mentioned clear silicone, but if not regular silicone is fine for regular resin.

Thank you so much,

Donna

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Hi Donna,

I’m not clear on what you want to make. Do you want to make a vase mold that is open in the center (to keep flowers) or something solid (non open center)?

Susan Carberry

Can I use a cardboard box as a mold, spraying it with release agent? Or?
      Just cant find 1.5 in.
      square, or 1.5 x 2″ rectangle mold. And I do need a mold rather than just doming . Thanks.

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Hi Susan,

I’m afraid cardboard won’t work. The resin will soak through.

Lisa R.

I’m in a similar situation. I’m going to try and make custom embossing plates. I’ll be cutting the “mold” from cardboard on my cricut machine. I will leave enough room on the cardboard so that the sides can be cut to fold up into a box (and I’ll seal the seams with a glue gun). Then I plan to seal the whole thing with acrylic sealer and pour resin into the box. Once the resin has hardened, I hope to be able to pull the cardboard away. Does this sound feasible? Thanks for any advice.

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Hi Lisa,

I wouldn’t expect cardboard to hold up to the resin casting process.

Emma

Hi,

I want to use resin to hold my flowers in from my dad’s funeral yesterday.

I don’t want a mould as such.

If I wanted to use glass like a vase to keep the resin and flowers in for a display – would this work?

Thanks

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Hi Emma,

Yes, you can do that. Keep the glass away from heat and direct sunlight, otherwise, it may crack once it has the resin in it.

SAm

Hi I read the question by someone else as have dried flowers from my dads funeral and want to put them in a glass vase, I gave done one looked lovely but then went very hot and cracked and the flowers were burnt inside, what do I gave to do differently? What epoxy to use? How much? How much epoxy can I use at one time and does this matter? Hope you can help as I’m scared if I do again it won’t work and I will run out of flowers

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Hi Sam,

You have a lot going on here!

I want to help you with your project, and I think this situation is best suited for a one-on-one consulting call where you and I talk back and forth about what’s going on. A 15-minute consultation call is $20. I do them by video so I can have a chance to see what you are working on.

If you are interested, please send a message through the ‘contact us’ page and I can get this going for you.

Sincerely,
        Katherine @ Resin Obsession

Christine

I want to fill a liquor bottle and then break the glass off so it looks like I just have the liquor from the inside of the bottle. Seeing as resin won’t work, is there anything else you suggest I could put in the bottle that won’t stick to the glass like resin but could possibly harden? Thanks!

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Getting resin out of a glass mold’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube