Getting resin to cover the sides of a pendant

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

This question comes through email by SJ:

I’m interested in making resin pendants but I’ve run into an issue.
      My process is that first I cast a pendant, then I paint it on the top and the four sides (but not the bottom). However, since paint can be scraped off of resin really easily, I want to pour another layer or two of resin onto the pendant.

I want to pour a layer on the top and four sides, but not get any on the bottom (I don’t want to encase it in a block of resin). I’ve tried attaching tape to the bottom of the pendant and then pouring resin on top so that it domes on the top and then spills off the side (to cover the paint that is on the side), but I’ve found that when it cures, there is only resin on the top and in a pool around the base – the sides of the piece are exposed and the paint can be scratched off. I don’t mind sanding off any excess resin, but I just can’t get the resin to stick on the vertical sides.

Is there any way that I can get the effect I want? I apologize for the extremely long message, but I’ve explained my problem clearly.

Thanks for your time!

Renate

Here is another idea: add colored pigment to the resin, that way you don’t need to worry about the color getting scrapped off, it will be throughout the entire piece. Now this will take care of the problem if your piece is only one color and it may fix the issues with having to paint the sides since the sides will have color on them.

Then if you still want to add different colors to the top of the piece you can paint the additional colors on the top and only worry about adding clear resin to the top and that is the easy part.

If however, you still want to add additional colors to the side, then it’s time to go back to Katherine’s solution 😎 Hope this helps!

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The topic ‘Getting resin to cover the sides of a pendant’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube