Getting stones to float in resin

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Katherine Swift

This question comes through email by Alex:

How would I get heavy pebbles to float in resin? Is there a way to prop them up or would I wait for the resin to almost harden before I place the pebble in?

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Katherine Swift

Hi Alex,

I would suggest doing your casting in layers.  Youre correct, the stones are heavy, so they are going to sink to the bottom of resin.  Even by waiting for the resin to cure some before adding them doesnt guarantee that they wont sink and you may introduce bubbles that way.

For easy math, lets say you have a 6 inch cube that you want to put the stones in, and youre trying to make it look like they are floating in the center 4 inches of the cube.  You will want to pour your first layer to the level that you dont want the stones to float beneath.  Once that layer is in a mid cure, then you can pour your next layer(s) for stones.  If youre trying to keep stones away from the edge of the cube as well, you may want to do several small layer pours rather than one big one.  You will have more control on how the stones pack in there.  You can then finish with one big layer on top.  I hope this all makes sense!

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Getting stones to float in resin’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube