Hardest resin

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Mark Potter

Hi, everyone;

Firstly, I appreciate this primarily a hobby / jewellry forum and this question is more of an industrial application, but I guess you have the knowledge I seek (and there is some overlap as jewellery in general needs to be hard wearing too)…

I am looking for a very hard resin to form the front face of a probe. This probe will be subject to intermittent scraping collision with rusty metal. We normally use an alumina ceramic disc supported by hard epoxy, because the ceramic is very hard wearing. However, for some curved designs we have issues getting ceramic wafers curved to the correct radius, so I am looking into an all resin face. Being very hard wearing is the key requirement here, (also must not contain metal as this will interfere with the probes function). We can work around any issues of cost, molding technique, safety etc.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Mark.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Mark,

I’m afraid industrial applications of resin is not my specialty. Polyurethane and polyester resins will cure hard, (harder than epoxies) but I still don’t know if they will be hard enough to accomplish what you need.

Mark Potter

OK, thanks for the advice. I will try testing some Poly resins here.

Mark.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Hardest resin’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube