Heat tolerance of resin coasters

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

This question comes from Evawn:

I am in the process of making coasters (on glass if it makes a difference) as gifts using original artwork. I will seal them with glue first but, may question is this. I saw in your tutorial to use the Eli-Chem but it has a heat tolerance of appx 120 degrees. I’m not sure this is sufficient for say a cup of coffee or tea. What resin do you recommend for this?

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Evawn,

In general, coasters made from epoxy resin can handle the heat of a warm mug, but can’t handle one that is directly from the microwave. If you want a resin that is more heat tolerant, I would recommend using a polyester resin. We have one in our shop here: https://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/resin/products/castin-craft-polyester-resin-16-oz The problem in this situation is that polyester resin is not a doming resin and will not self-level to make a nice coating on your glass.

Have you considered putting your artwork behind the glass? That way, you could still use a resin to seal it, but don’t have to worry about the heat of the mug.

Evawn

Under the glass … excellent solution, Katherine, thank you! Do I simply place the glass over freshly poured resin?

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

I would flip the glass over, put your artwork on ‘backwards’, then use the resin.

EvawnE

Many thanks for the assist!

Rhea

Do you sell a nano liquid glass product, it is a coating. I hand paint on glazed ceramic and also need a heat-resistant coating. Do you or could you sell such a product I think the base is silicon dioxide.

Mary Ann Stanford-Terrien

Can you mix different brands of resin? I have one that is heat resistant up to 400 degrees…but it isn’t a casting resin. Can I cast a coaster in your resin and when cured top it off with a 1/8 inch of the countertop resin that is heat proof?

Sharpudin shaikh

Sir I producing a metal bonded sheet,so which resin should buy from you. I must be waterproof and flameproof. For this component metal powder will also be used

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

I’m afraid that’s outside of the scope of the resins we sell.

sarah

Hi,
      I bought polyester resin and epoxy laminate. Im going through so many different resins and they just dont seem to be setting smooth.
      Ive done everything perfectly.
      I poured polyester resin over the coaster and its starting to look better than it was. Is this resin heat resistant?
      Thank you 🙂

Ebony

Hi, I’ve seen people coat the inside of bongs with art resin which is a resin without VOC’s and is safe enough to eat on when fully cured. I wanted to know when fully cured is it ok to coat the inside of a device someone would smoke out of?

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Hi Ebony, I would not use resin in a situation like this.

Geetayani khanna

Which is a heat resistant resin and a clear resin. I’ve tried making coasters they are ok to touch but leaves a ring and also sticks to the hot coffee glass when i put on it!

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Hi Geetaynai,

I’m afraid this is the case with resin.

Saif Syman

Hi Katherine,

I am just curious what is the heat tolerance of UV resin, is it the same? Do you have any in the store?

Thank you

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Hi Saif,

I’m afraid we don’t sell UV resin.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Heat tolerance of resin coasters’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube