Help with Resin molds – Edge on Resin

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      shannon

I have been using ice resin in different kinds of molds and every time after the resin has hardened, theres always a lip leftover. Its hard to describe, but it leaves a concave impression. I know I can use a diamond file to file off the edges, but the lip is thick and I dont want to scratch the rest of the resin piece. Is there anyway to keep this from happening?

Thanks!
      Shannon
      Katherine Swift

Hi Shannon,

It sounds like what you’re seeing is where the resin is shrinking a little bit as it cools.  It produces an edge on resin charms. This commonly occurs with resin (even with brands that aren’t Ice Resin) as the surface tension between the resin and the side of the mold keeps the resin creeping up the side of the mold while the center shrinks during curing.  Im afraid sanding the cured edges is the best way to take care of this.

I talk more about it here: https://youtu.be/S6xlrNQDp_0

shannon

Thank you for replying so quickly. So how would I go about getting it round and smooth on all sides then? If round pieces will always have that lip, how do you smooth it down so that its actually round on that part? Do I have to put on another coat of resin or something? 

Thanks!
      Shannon
      Katherine Swift

Shannon,

You can either sand down the edges with files and sandpaper or you can dome another resin layer on the back.  Theres a video on our youtube channel that shows how to dome another layer on the back:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkZdO1n9R7Q

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Help with Resin molds – Edge on Resin’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube