How can I Encapsulate Without Bubbles

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Glenn B Campbell

I have been encapsulating small model cars in small molds. They are about 3.5″ x 1.5″ x 1.5″. These cars are complex shapes and trap bubbles no matter what I do. My questions are 1, is Resin Obsession deep pour resin suitable? 2, because of the long pot time, can I use a vacuum chamber to remove trapped bubbles. 3, Can I pour this in layers to suspend the model car?

Thanks in advance for any advise.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Glenn,

I’m sorry to hear you are having bubble problems. They are aggravating!

Yes, the Resin Obsession deep pour resin is the formula I would use for a project like this. It will take 48 to 72 hours to cure and you can pour it up to two inches thick at once.

Instead of a vacuum chamber, a pressure pot is a better choice. You need to maintain pressure on the resin until it’s fully cured.

You can pour in layers, but if you use the pressure pot (and wait for it to fully cure before applying the next layer), you will see a line between layers. To avoid this line, you pour the next layer when the previous layer is in the gel phase: https://www.resinobsession.com/resin-frequently-asked-questions/what-is-the-gel-time-of-resin/ But then that means you can’t use the pressure pot.

Here’s my suggestion for avoiding bubbles in the cars —

Mix resin. Saturate the cars in the mixed resin. Set on wax paper to drip off and cure. This should seal bubbles in or out and make the car easier to use in your casting.

Does this help?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The topic ‘How can I Encapsulate Without Bubbles’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube