How can I make Polyester Resin less shiny?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      shannon

Hello there! 🙂 This is my first post to the website!

Ive been doing some casts with pigmented polyester resin, painting ontop with acyrlic paints & then applying an additional layer of clear polyester resin on top to hold the my acrylic paint design. It has worked pretty well, however the additional layer of resin has made my cast SUPER shiny! And I dont like this finishing at all! 🙁 

Is there a way i can take away some of the shine from the polyester resin?

I have heard that washing it in acetone might help? I have also heard about using wet & dry paper on it to take out some of the shine- but this wont work so well for me because I have a lot of texture on my casts that i want to keep!

Has anyone got any ideas? Would acetone work?

Thank you so much! 🙂

Katherine Swift

Hi Shannon,

I wouldnt expect acetone to help much if at all.  Let me see what I can find out from a polyester resin manufacturer.

shannon

ahh thank you so much katherine!

Katherine Swift

This was the suggestion from tech support from our polyester resin manufacturer: 

The only thing I could think of is to sand the surface gently and then try a matte finish acrylic spray.  If she is opposed to sanding she may want to test a piece without sanding and just spray an acrylic with a matte finish.  This is a TEST, so not to try on a favorite piece.

Rhonda

The acrylic spray finishes, both matte and gloss, work really well on resin castings.  Ive used both with good results. Just remember to have good ventilation when using the sprays, and a filter mask doesnt hurt, either!

Rhonda J. Hunter
      shannon

Thank you so much guys for your help! 🙂 i will try all these ideas! thank you!!! xx

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • The topic ‘How can I make Polyester Resin less shiny?’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube