How do I fix my sticky resin problem??

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Ryan

I am very new to resin but want to solve this issue I’ve been having and can’t seem to find the solid answer to.

I have made some molds out of Smooth-on silicone to make buttons for video game controllers out of EasyCast resin. The molds turned out perfect and so do my buttons. Except one drastic problem is that they are very sticky. However the side of the buttons that is not touching the mold cures fine.

I have read many possible issues and tried addressing them but still get the same sticky results. Such as mixing for two minutes thoroughly and using a new container and then mixing again. Making sure they cure in a perfect temperature setting. Etc. I have read it may be due to the reaction between tin cured silicone and the resin that causes the stickiness.

Any ideas how to fix this? As I said I am very new and don’t want to be discouraged so easily after seeing all the great possibilities of resin.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Are you using a mold release? How much resin are you mixing at once?

Ryan

I am not using any mold release. The cured buttons come out of the molds very easily so I didn’t think it would be necessary.

I am mixing one ounce of each part resin and hardener.

Thank you for the response!

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

I haven’t had a problem with tin cured silicone and epoxy resin, but that doesn’t mean that there isn’t an issue with your situation.

First thing I would recommend is to go over the troubleshooting items in this list: https://www.resinobsession.com/resin-frequently-asked-questions/resin-troubleshooting-tips Assuming those aren’t an issue, I would then contact Smooth On for their advice. I will also reach out to ETI to see if they have any suggestions for your situation.

Ryan

Thank you, I will try to reach out to Smooth-on and see if they have any ideas.

I have looked at the FAQ section under the “resin is cured, but surface is tacky” section. I don’t think any of those issues pertain to my problem as I have addressed them with the same results. Number 2 in that section specifically seems to be the exact opposite of my problem since the exposed side in the mold cures smooth and non sticky.

Do you think using some sort of finishing / sealer on the molds could prevent this issue?

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Ryan,

Yes, a mold release could potentially fix the problem. If you can contact us directly, the EasyCast manufacturer as stated they will be happy to send you replacement product and help you troubleshoot your direct issue.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

This article gives more details on why your resin can be sticky: https://www.resinobsession.com/resin-frequently-asked-questions/why-is-my-resin-sticky/

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • The topic ‘How do I fix my sticky resin problem??’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube