How do you put a sealing coat of resin onto an uneven surface?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Sharon Storey

Hi Katherine, I am making a one off project. I have been collecting seaglass for 5 1/2 years and am designing a sea themed upcycled table.
      Is it possible to coat the uneven surface with resin as a sealer? I like the uneven surface as it gives the feeling of movement on the sea, but I also want to seal it to give the seaglass a wet appearance which best brings out the colours.
      I have glued the seaglass to a mirror with clear silicon glue. The mirror under the seaglass reflects light back up through the seaglass. By the time I am finished, the mirror will be completely covered. There will be a glass table top.

Kindest regards,
      Sharon Storey,
      Rep. of Ireland

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Sharon,

You can use the resin as a coating, but it’s going to pool. I would use something like a foam brush to apply the resin (in a thin coat) which should make it glossy and minimize the amount of puddles you have.

Can you link to a picture of your product? That might give me other ideas.

Rhonda J. Hunter

It sounds like a fast curing resin is needed, as well as the brush, mixing small amounts of resin as a time.

Sharon Storey

I eventually finished my table top. I tested some spare glass, painting on resin to check that it did not react to the silicon glue. It was fine.
      I used a normal little paint brush to paint the resin on my table. It worked really well. I highlighted some areas and features, and left some sections unpainted except for the features. The darker colours of seaglass worked so well with the resin, the paler colours tended to become almost transparent.
      I am delighted with the finished result.

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

That’s fantastic Sharon. I’m glad to hear it worked out so well for you.

Kendell Richmond

Hi! What type of resin did you use? And any chance it can be used outside?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • The topic ‘How do you put a sealing coat of resin onto an uneven surface?’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube