How to clean a silicone mold

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

This question comes from Sarah:

I am just beginning on my resin journey and am preparing for my first pour. I tried to clean the dust and particles off of the silicone molds but I am having issues with drying it without getting particles on it. Do you have any recommendations? I tried blow drying it, using a cloth, the only thing I can think to do is to allow it to air dry but for some reason I thought I had seen somewhere that air drying is a bad idea because it will leave water spots on the mold. Is that true?

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Sarah,

I like to clean silicone molds with a quality soap (I like Dawn) and water. Once the mold is clean, I slap it on a firm surface that has a towel on it to force out the remaining water drops. Air drying can be a problem if you have hard water as it can leave mineral deposits. To help speed up drying, you can use a heat gun or put it in a warm oven. https://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/tools-and-supplies/products/zap-embossing-heat-tool

Susan

I am having the same dust/lint issue with my silicone molds. I’ve searched the web for ideas and the only idea I’ve seen is for a Blackberry case, but I’m hesitant to use the idea because it says to rub oil on it. I doubt my resin would appreciate it, so I’m here asking the experts! Cheers!

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

This article explains how to care for silicone molds: https://www.resinobsession.com/molds-mold-making/silicone-mold-care/

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The topic ‘How to clean a silicone mold’ is closed to new replies.
close

Wanna hang out? Cool. We love creative people.

Subscribe to blog updates10.2k
Follow on Facebook22.5k
Follow on Pinterest187.9k
Follow on Instagram15.7k
Follow on Youtube73.1k
Subscribe to forum updates