How to even out a resin blemish

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

This question comes from Mark:

I am new to epoxy resin work, ran into a small problem and need some advice.
      I am a professional artist on Maui.
      I am using the resin as an alternative to automobile clear-coat.
      My current works are grinded on aluminum, usually about 4 feet by six feet.
      I had a small dimple in one area and did not want to sand and re-coat the entire surface. I added a tiny bit of fresh resin and tried to smooth it out with a squeegee, but now it is more noticeable than the tiny pin hole I tried to hide.
      The problem area is only about one inch square, but noticeable from certain angles.
      Can I sand the squeegee marks down and simply spray the area with a high gloss spray?
      If so, which type? Crystal acrylic, lacquer, enamel, automotive urethane? Something else?
      Or do I need to cut and buff and run through the grits and mechanically polish to a high gloss?

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Mark,

If I were to try this, I would sand down the 1 inch square area in question. Start with a 400 grit sandpaper and work your way down to a 2000 grit or higher sandpaper. Once you are done, you can coat it with a clear drying, acrylic based spray. This is the one I would recommend, but unfortunately, we cannot ship it to you in Hawaii. https://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/tools-and-supplies/products/castin-craft-gloss-resin-sealer-spray The problem with using a spray is that some people will complain about an ‘orange peel’ appearance to the finish. I find you only notice this if the surface is inches away from your face. It sounds like your work is meant to be viewed further away than that, so hopefully you will be fine. For that reason, however, you may need to coat the entire piece. You may find that, like the small section you tried to fix with resin, the spray may become noticeable as well if you only do it in the small section.

As an alternative, the Novus polishing kit may work well for you: https://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/tools-and-supplies/products/novus-resin-polishing-kit If you do a great job sanding and end with a very fine paper, you may be able to get a glossy finish that blends seamlessly. You can see what I’m talking about in this video on our youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wm89lAqDCqo&t=3s

If worse comes to worse, you can always recoat the entire piece with another layer of resin, even if you use the spray and don’t like how it turns out.

Madevenus

I’m wondering if Novus polish is skin touch safe? Can it be use for jewelry?

Thanks

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

While I have never experienced a problem using it, you can wash off any residue left after using it on your jewelry pieces.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The topic ‘How to even out a resin blemish’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube