• Author
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

This question comes from Clare:

I am artist who works with mixed media and now resin

I’ve just had a disaster
      Painted with resin on glass for a commission
      It was 😊 fab

However as I tried to remove the cured piece from its drying pots it shattered the glass

Please help !
      His do I prevent work sticking to the drying area

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Clare,

How frustrating! I’m sorry to hear you made such a nice piece only to have it break later.

Resin will not stick to wax. I don’t know how large your drying pots are, but you can try covering them with wax paper. The resin will still cure on the wax paper, but it will peel off. You might also consider spraying the wax paper with a mold release agent to be extra sure it comes off. This is the one I like to use: https://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/tools-and-supplies/products/petrolease-non-silicone-food-grade-mold-release?variant=965321777

Since glass isn’t flexible, I’m wondering if the glass, with the weight of the resin, simply couldn’t handle a gentle tug to remove it from the drying pots? Might be a good idea to spray the back of the glass with the release agent too.

Good luck with the next one!

Ckare

Thank you very much
      I will certainly try wax paper

I have just redone the piece on canvass and it has turned out well.

My local art supplier suggested Vaseline on the back of the piece and on the stands.

Blessings

Clare

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Clare,

Vaseline will work well too. It can be a bit greasy, so keep the layer light.

Sunita

Two coasters of mine got stuck to each other,i just put a drop of coconut oil and that helped me in seperating the two.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • The topic ‘How to keep resin from sticking to the drying area’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube