How to keep resin on top of a box?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

This question comes from Victoria:

I am trying to paint a box And when I paint one part, the resin start to fall at the sides and ruin my perfect other face of the box Is there some product to keep the resin inside the surface and dont fall to the sides?

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Victoria,

The first thing you want to do is to make sure you are using a doming resin. It will have enough surface tension to help it stay on the surface of your box. If that doesn’t work, apply a border of masking tape around the outer edge of you box. Pour resin as desired. Once the resin has cured, peel away the tape.

Victoria

When I use the tape on the sides that are already painted the borders seems not perfect and sometimes the tape does not pell off totally
      Anothe suggestion?

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

I’m afraid I don’t. The tape has always worked well for me.

Kimmy Sue

Try using blue masking tape which is meant to peel off easier from painted surfaces

Bruce

Depends on what material the box is made from & what type of resin you’re using.
      Basically I apply a very thin initial coat to limit the possibility of resin building up & leaking over the edge.
      This also helps to create an “edge” for the second heavier coat of resin to stick to through surface tension.
      If you’re using UV resin this is pretty simple, but more tedious with 2 par epoxies….although you could increase the mix ration to promote faster setting.

Bruce

What is the best uv rated varnish to use on my resin. I’m make an address sign for my daughter.

Bruce

What is the best uv rated varnish to use on my resin. I’m make an address sign for my daughter.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • The topic ‘How to keep resin on top of a box?’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube