How to Make Cracked Resin

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Randi

I’d like to know how to make tables with “cracked” resin inlays. I’ve tried searching, but have had no luck. All I’ve seen is that it’s maybe something to do with the catalyst.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

If I wanted to intentionally try this, I would add extra hardener to the mixture. Cracking usually occurs when the mixture heats up too quickly. Be careful though, as sometimes adding extra hardener will speed up the reaction and significantly reduce your pot time.

Cyd

Oooh – I’ve seen the cracked resin pieces and they’re gorgeous! I was wondering if they are cracked and then encased in uncracked material…does cracked resin actually come apart?

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Hmm. I don’t know, I haven’t tried this. I suppose if I had a piece like this, I would coat it with another layer of resin to keep it all together. If you brush on the outer layer of resin, it would be thin enough I wouldn’t expect anyone to notice that there is a second layer.

Philip

Take a look at Andrianna Shamaris’ website. They pioneered the concept of Cracked Resin in 2006.
      htp://andriannashamarisinc.com/cracked-resin/

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The topic ‘How to Make Cracked Resin’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube