how to make diy resin mold

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      bembe

hello all, very new to the resin world and trying to make a very large resin mold. it doesn’t have to be perfect. I would like it to be 4×4 ft all around in the shape of a geode like in the link pictured below (ill post a link)
      https://craftedelements.com/products/20x14x0-75-large-geode-silicone-mold-for-epoxy-resin-geode-mold?variant=40725404385453&utm_campaign=ga_usa_shop&utm_source=GoogleAds&utm_medium=ppc&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2dP5i-Lo_AIVkklyCh1HkADiEAQYAyABEgJLbfD_BwE

I was wondering if I could just buy a humongous piece of silicone and make some borders in the shape of what I want it to look like and pour the resin mixture onto it and wait for it to dry? let me know if im talking out of my ass, again, never worked with resin before so please drop some knowledge on how I can accomplish this!

tldr; need help to make a very large, silicon, geode shaped mold to make a big flat resin sculpture. thanks. sorry if this is confusing. love y’all

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Bembe,

I think it’s worth a try. You could use silicone caulk for the borders, but they won’t be crisp.

bembe

hey Katherine, thanks for the response. Can you please elaborate on what you mean by it turning crisp? also is there anything you would recommend to make the borders? the mold would be probably one time use so again, doesn’t have to be the prettiest or perfect. thanks again!

Katherine Swift
          Keymaster

The silicone caulk is rounded. That same roundness will transfer to the resin.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The topic ‘how to make diy resin mold’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube