How to make my resin hard and unscratchable?

Premium resin, epoxy colors and molds for making art and crafts Forums Resin finishing How to make my resin hard and unscratchable?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Dixie

Just out of curiosity, since I already have a Shellac spray, would that work as well? 

Dixie

Just out of curiosity, since I already have a Shellac spray, would that work as well? 

Dixie

Im trying to make resin ear plugs, or gauges, and I have a silicone mold that I made by myself, and Ive been using Cast n Craft Polyester resin. When I pour my resin, everything goes fine, but no matter how long I let it cure for, I can till put nail marks and embed my fingerprint in the finished piece. The top, sides, everywhere. I have put 10-20 drops of hardener per ounce, so I dont think its an issue with a lack of hardener. Ive been looking into Acrylic resin, but its hard to find, but thats the kind of finished product I want. Is there a way I can make my pieces harder like acrylic would be? It there a coating or varnish I could use that would give me the hardness Im looking for?

Thank you for your help. =)

Katherine Swift

I would suggest coating with a layer of our resin gloss sealer spray.  What youre describing is fairly typical for polyester resin.

Katherine Swift

What is the base ingredient of the shellac spray?

Dixie

It looks like these are the ingredients, and the percentage as listed:

Chemical Percent
      Ethanol/SD Alcohol 40
      Isopropanol
      Acetone
      Butanol: 3% 3
      Propane
      Isobutane
      Methyl ethyl ketoxime: .5%
      Dixie

Thank you very much for your help. =D

Katherine Swift

I cant exactly tell what the active ingredient is.  I think the top ones are the propellants and the last one is the actual ingredient.  I think it would be worth a try on some scrap pieces first if you have them.

T

Polyester should cure hard enough to not be able to mark it with a fingernail. Different brands have different shore hardness.

CC resin is made by ETI and is some of the most brittle resin Ive ever used. It cures very hard.

Im not sure where you purchased your resin, but my guess is it was from a local craft store. These places dont rotate their stock or replace it after the expiration date. Polyester has a 6 month shelf life and in my experience, all resin from the craft store is expired. Ive even seen cans that are already solid.

Point being, old resin doesnt cure properly and never achieves full cure, so it remains slightly soft.

Also, I wouldnt recommend using resins for plugs/gauges. Think reactions and liability.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • The topic ‘How to make my resin hard and unscratchable?’ is closed to new replies.
close

Wanna hang out? Cool. We love creative people.

Subscribe to blog updates10.2k
Follow on Facebook22.5k
Follow on Pinterest187.9k
Follow on Instagram15.7k
Follow on Youtube73.1k
Subscribe to forum updates