How to prop up bezels

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

This question comes from Judy:

What’s the best way to prop up bracelet bezels that are attached to the bracelet, before filling them with resin? I’ve attached a couple of pictures of what I mean. I’ve been propping them up in styrofoam, but they never seem to be really straight or sturdy that way. There must be some way to do this!

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Judy,

I’m guessing you are looking for a way to accommodate bezels and/or jump rings? If so, here’s a couple of suggestions:

1. Our drying mats have holes in them to allow for a bail. That will let them lie flat. You can find the drying mats in our store here: https://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/tools-and-supplies/products/resin-obsession-drying-mat-for-resin-non-stick

2. You could use a large sheet of styrofoam and create a trench in the piece to allow for the bail.

Does this help?

Judy Kameny

Actually, that’s what I’ve been doing (propping it into a couple of holes I’ve carved into the styrofoam). But it’s very hard to get it level that way. And the drying mats aren’t nearly deep enough – that is, tall enough. This would work for rings, but bracelets are much bigger. Were you able to see the pictures I attached?

Katherine Swift
          Keymaster

Hi Judy,

I’m afraid I wasn’t able to view the pictures. Can you link to them? That might help me with ideas.

judy applebaum

Just saw this. Not sure how to link to the pictures. I can email them, if that helps.

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Sure thing Judy! Email them to us and we can add them to the discussion.

ROB MEIXNER

I have made silver and gold bracelets for 45 years, many with bezels. While I have yet to fill one with resin, I plan to very soon and this is why I am on this site. The process of setting a stone in a bezel has similar requirements to yours, so here are some suggestions. If the bezel extends beyond the bracelet, open up a bench vise so that the bezel edges rest on the top of the open vise jaws. You can then tighten the jaws just enough to secure the bracelet and then fill the bezel. This assumes that the vise is level. Set a narrow piece of wood (2X4) on its edge so that the bracelet will slip over the piece of wood with the bezel side of the bracelet resting on the edge of the wood. If it is still not secure, add a piece of clay to the top edge and push the bracelet into the clay to secure and level the bezel. You can buy thermo-set plastic clay that will also work the same way. On my bench I would just start by attaching a third hand to the bottom of the bezel and level it by moving the third hand around until the bezel is level. Good luck…Rob

Elaine

I use a silicone hotpad. The links can drop into the holes and as a bonus any spillage can be removed from the pad fairly easily and drips away from the piece.

Lisa Cupp

Hi Judy- have you tried Silly Putty as a base? It’s not just for kids :). If you have bezels linked together for a bracelet, I’d just take the whole thing apart. Good luck!

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • The topic ‘How to prop up bezels’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube