How to resin a paper cup

• This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by yolanda.esquer.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

This question comes from Steph:

I am new to resin entirely but am pretty crafty generally. I’m looking into a way to do something a bit unusual – we have a cafe near us that has paper cups that have really beautiful art on them from local artists. My partner loves them and uses them as cups for his pens, and I wanted to find a way to seal them so they were sturdier and possibly even so they were food safe to drink out of. At the moment they are just standard disposable one-use paper coffee cups. I have been doing some research and think it would be possible to seal it with mod podge first; but when it comes to the actual resin part I’m not sure how I’d go about it. I can’t find anything online but would love some advice about whether it would be possible! Of course, I will need to do lots of practice ones – good things paper cups are a dime a dozen

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Steph,

Yes, start with Mod Podge. Two layers are what you will need to do to make sure the resin doesn’t stain the cup.

Once completely dry, you will want to coat it with Alumilite Amazing Clear Cast Epoxy resin. It is considered food-safe once cured. https://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/resin/products/alumilite-amazing-clear-cast-epoxy-resin-16-ounces

As for the technique, there are a couple of different ways. You can put it horizontally, brush on resin in a light coat, then rotate it for the first hour or so to even the resin out. (Do the outside and inside separately) Another way would be to leave the cup vertical and allow resin to drip off the sides after application. Propping it up on toothpicks would work. Here’s an example: https://www.resinobsession.com/forums/topic/looking-for-tray-to-help-with-dripping-resin

The problem with doing it this way is that resin will pool into the bottom of your cup. Maybe not a big deal, but wanted to make you aware that the layer of resin will be thicker in the bottom as compared to the sides.

What I don’t know is how sturdy the cup will be after one application. The resin cures firm, but I’m not sure if the paper cup underneath will be supportive enough. Plan on doing two layers of resin.

yolanda.esquer

would like to know how this project turned out.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The topic ‘How to resin a paper cup’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube