Impact resistant resin?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Amanda

I’m making sandals with built in orthotics. I’ve made silicone molds of the orthotics that my doctor made, and now I’m looking for a resin to cast with. Does anyone have suggestions? It needs to be impact resistant, and be able to withstand temps higher than 85°F (most of the urethane resins I saw seem to cap out around there, but pavement is hot and I don’t want to melt my sandals! 😂)

I probably won’t be running in these, but I do a LOT of walking as part of my job, so I want to avoid anything too fragile.

How sturdy is epoxy resin? At its thinnest point, at the ball of the foot — which is also the point of highest flexion, the orthotics are about 1/8 inch thick. At the arch, they’re about 1.25 inches. Is epoxy likely to crack at the thinner area? Thank you!

Amanda

Forgot to ask, is acrylic casting resin a thing? The originals from my doc are made of CNC routed acrylic, and they’ve held up pretty well. If acrylic resin is a real thing, does anyone know where I can find it, and whether it requires a pressure pot or curing oven?

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Amanda,

I love your idea, but I’m afraid epoxy resin isn’t a good choice for a project like this. Any resin that’s tough enough to withstand the pressure of walking is also likely to crack or break.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Impact resistant resin?’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube