Inconsistent curing resin

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

This question comes from Sylvia:

I have a question about an inconsistent batch of resin, where some items cured and some didn’t. I also am wondering about thin coats of resin to fix the ones that didn’t cure. I’ve read that thin layers don’t cure as well as thick ones, but this is also the remedy for a tacky surface. It seems contradictory, but I guess I’m missing something here. Thanks!

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Sylvia,

It has been my experience that 75% of the time when resin cures sticky or didn’t cure all the way, it is either from inaccurate measuring or incomplete mixing. We have a few other suggestions on why your resin may be sticky in this article: https://www.resinobsession.com/resin-frequently-asked-questions/resin-troubleshooting-tips

If the surface of the resin is sticky (not gooey), then yes, you can apply another layer of resin to fix it.

You are also correct in that thinner layers of resin may have a harder time curing. That’s because the heat produced from the resin and hardener mixing together is sometimes not enough to cause it to cure when it is spread in a thin layer. Warm your resin ahead of time (here’s an article showing how to do that: https://www.resinobsession.com/resin-resin-resin/resin-casting-in-cold-weather) and make sure your room is in the low 70’s F to help with the curing.

Sylvia Fohlin

Thanks, Katherine! It was a strange batch. They ranged from perfectly fine to tacky to gooey. I had made sure the room was warm and thought I had stirred thoroughly (I had read your tips!) Next time I’ll also warm the bottles.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

I have also had this happen with the last little bit of resin I have scraped out of the cup. That resin may not be mixed as well and will cure sticky.

Chris P.

This may be caused by the wrong type of silicon, bad or outdated catalyst. With the little bit of info provided, it is hard to determine. We’re you working with a polyester, epoxy, polyurethanes? Etc. Mold type, release agents, etc.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Inconsistent curing resin’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube