Is it possible to preserve a snowflake in resin?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Kelsey Lambert

I know little to nothing about resin, but I’d like to try to preserve a snowflake to send back to my family.

I don’t know if you can even capture water inside resin, or if that will mess up the whole curing process. I’ve heard that resin can be fickle, and measuring exactly is key to getting it to work…

Any ideas?

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Kelsey,

What a nice idea, but I’m afraid resin isn’t going to work well for this. Resin hates moisture, so assuming you could catch the snowflake in the resin, it could affect curing. Even more complicating, resin heats up so it would melt the snowflake before it ever had a chance to cure in resin. 🙁

Rachel

What you could do is preserve the snowflake on a microscope slide with superglue and perhaps cover it with another slide or similar plastic. Basically laminating it like you would do with butterfly wings.

Once you have the snowflake sealed you could suspend it in resin. Cutting the plastic down to size might be a bit of a pain though.
      I haven’t done this so this is just a theory that I myself am hoping to try out come the first snow.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Is it possible to preserve a snowflake in resin?’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube