Is it safe to use resin as candle holder?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Amber

Hi There! I’m staring a new candle making venture (as if I needed another project)! I am really interested in making my own candle containers, but am unsure if it’s safe to burn a candle in cured resin?

Thanks for any advice!
      Amber

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Amber,

The candle holder is likely okay provided it doesn’t get too warm. You might want to test a few first.

I would also expect different resins to be more ‘heat resistant’ than others. The harder it cures, the more likely it is to accept a candle.

Cheri

I made candle holders and had two outcomes
      1. Resin and despite holder in center of glass container..result – when holder got warm resin expanded and cracked the glass all the way around.
      2. Made resin tealite plate to set candle on… Result resin got hot and became pliable but reset and hardened again once cooled.
      I really want to make it work so I’d anyone finds a good resin please share the name. I use( Art Resin) brand also (East Coast Resin).

Cheri

I meant Reasin and “tealite” auto correct sorry

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Hi Cheri,

Resin and glass don’t do well together. They expand at different rates. What you describe with the cracking commonly happens.

Unfortunately, what you are describing with your resin softening when it gets warm is a common occurrence. You may will have better luck with a polyester or polyurethane resin.

Melissa Raymond

I did not see any specific brand mentioned here. I would like to make candle holders/containers. such as small boxes, or bowls, jars. these would then be filled with wax (and a wick) to make candles… I see things advertised all over the place as molds for candle holders… but no where can I find any recommendations, or even a video of someone making anything for anything other then a tea light.

Is this not feasible? Is there some way to locate the heat resistance temperature of different resin brands and types?

Melissa

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Is it safe to use resin as candle holder?’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube