Is resin suitable for outdoor use?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

This question comes from Gerry:

Is resin suitable for outdoor use. I want to protect a wooden sign and hope that if I coat it in resin it will be protected…
      Any thoughts?

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

In a short answer, yes, but here’s what you should know first:

1. The resin will eventually yellow. It’s hard to know exactly when that will be, but it is accelerated with UV light exposure.
      2. The resin may not be flexible enough to bend with the sign. As the temperature changes and wood expands and contracts, the resin may not fare so well and may crack.
      3. Depending on the resin you use, it may scratch and require recoating at some future time.

T. Todd Hennig

Thank you for this information, but what type of resin formula or type is recommended?

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

What do you want to use it for? That will best help me with a recommendation.

Heather

I would like to coat a live edge table with resin for the patio. I live in Canada so it involves cold winter and hot sunny summer.

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Hi Heather, I’m afraid resin won’t hold up well to these temperature swings. It’s going to expand and retract with the wood and likely crack.

Tim

Eccopoxy is the only one for out side use I have been able to find after researching several months,lol
      Their product for outside is called UVPoxy,
      Recommended be a guy that has been using it for few years says zero problems

Dianna

I what to pour resin on a cement slab over industrial glass. What should I use and will this hold up all year. We live in Zone 5 (Nebraska).

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Hi Dianna,

I’m afraid a project like that won’t do well. The resin and glass will expand and contract at different from the changes in temperature. One of them will eventually crack.

Kayla

I was thinking of doing a DIY umbrella base with cement and an old flower pot, and I wanted to decorate the top a little with some pretty stones or something and coat/seal it in resin. No? Or use Eccopoxy as recommended by Tim? It wouldn’t be exposed to the sun all the time, being under umbrella obviously most of the time and under a patio table but am I just looking at a mess later? It’s getting to 90 and 100° where I’m at right now and it’s only the beginning of July.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Is resin suitable for outdoor use?’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube