Is there an alternative to Resin Sealant Sprays?

Resin jewelry making resin art supplies Forums Resin finishing Is there an alternative to Resin Sealant Sprays?

This topic contains 15 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Debbie 15 hours, 23 minutes ago.

• Author

Kayla Burke

Hi there,
    I am wondering if there are any alternatives to using the Castin’ Craft Spray Sealant spray. I am looking to get a glossy finish but I need much more control than what the spray offers. I only need to spray the flat bottoms of my pieces after sanding, but when I do that it tends to splatter on the sides of my pieces and cause more unwanted marks that I then have to deal with. My pieces are odd shaped, so I cannot lay them flat to spray, I have to hold them up and spray them individually. I don’t think adding another layer of resin to the bottoms will work, since I have to sand them down to get them completely flat. Any ideas?
    Thanks!

• #7746 Reply

Katherine Swift
    Keymaster

Have you tried wrapping the sides of your pieces with masking tape before you spray?

Do you have a link to a piece for reference?

• #7785 Reply

Kayla Burke

Attached is a link to the Resin Crystals I make for reference. I only need to use a sealant on the bottoms of each piece. I do not do any finishing on the other surfaces. I have used masking tape on a different resin casting once to keep the resin clean from a clay I was using and tape left a cloudy residue on the surface when I peeled it off, in which I cannot get off. So I’m not sure I want to go that route again. Any solutions on the best ways to clean a resin castings to remove this kind of residue? Do you know of any brush on Sealants I could use?

Thanks

• #7786 Reply

Kayla Burke

I’m not sure how to attach the link….
    Visit http://www.kaylaburkedesign.com and search Forest Crystals.

Thanks!

• #7793 Reply

Katherine Swift
    Keymaster

Have you tried sanding the surface? I’m wondering if you sand and end with a 2000 grit sandpaper (or higher) then try some of the Novus polish, it might just be enough. https://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/tools-and-supplies/products/novus-resin-polishing-kit You can see how the Novus kit did polishing in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wm89lAqDCqo&t=1s

• #7880 Reply

Karla

I’ve been wondering about a product called
    EzFlow Nail Systems- BRUSH ON RESIN. It’s used with fake nails. Anybody heard of this or tried it as an alternative to the spray?

• #8884 Reply

Ray

Hi there!

Firstly, love your site, thank you Resin Obsession, you have given me lots of tips and inspiration!

I had no idea that a finishing spray even existed until now?! I have been using olive oil and a clean, soft cloth to polish my pieces. When I sell a piece I add a little thank you note, and on the flip side it advises people to polish with olive oil if/when the piece loses its lustre. Am I wrong to do this?

Happy for any feedback/comments etc.
    Thanks heaps!
    RayRay
    xx

• #10194 Reply

Dorothy

I spray a small amount of sealant in a med cup and brush where needed!

• #11749 Reply

Emily

Hi,
    I live in Australia and can’t access the castin craft resin spray here. Is there an alternative spray or product to use to coat and protect pieces and cover and seal scratches? I use epoxy resin in molds and sand with micro mesh but still get scratches.

Thanks! I love your work and tutorials. You started my passion for resin.

From Emily in Australia

• #11750 Reply

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

HI Emily, you can try an acrylic based clear spray. That may work for you.

• #15865 Reply

Karenza

This is such an interesting topic. I have resin-based accessories to do using dried fruits. lemon and mint leaves works using upcast resin but not the strawberies. they got burned everytime they entered the resin, turning into dead-rotten pale brownish colour.

i tried applying the dried strawberries in tacky glue (UHU is the brand i have in my country). It protects the strawberry when i put them inside glycerine water to test it out (strawberry will have slight discolouration if the glue coating fails, but this case the glue protects the strawberry). I tried to cast them in upcast resin (tacky glue coating) and it kinda works (some part remains red) but still ended up turning some part brownish pale colour (not a big success for me but improvement)

so i stumbled to this post and try to look for acrylic epoxy lacquer coating spray ( because i can’t find the product above in my country Indonesia) while i need to test it out soon. I don’t know how it turns out but I’ll try this and hopefully it works. I also switched the resin into epoxy resin. hopefully I could get the best outcome out of this. epoxy resin is certainly pricier than upcast resin, so I do have high hopes in its quality

Thank you for the tips! hope it works out

• #15868 Reply

Cate

Karla – I’ve just tried using a UV gel polish no-wipe topcoat (the brand that I have a Crystal G but I’m in the UK) as a final coating on cured resin to give a shiny finish and fill in any scratches. I’ve brushed on a layer like reasonably thick nail polish, left it for anything up to about a minute to self-level, filled in any gaps and then cured it with a UV salon nail lamp.

It seems to work well and gives a lovely shiny surface with a thinner thickness than adding another layer of epoxy resin. I don’t know how well it lasts over time as obviously nails aren’t supposed to be that permanent and I don’t know if it delaminates or anything horrible eventually. I’d really like to know if anyone else has any experience with using something similar?

I’ve used acrylic spray (Plasti-Cote or generic car spray) in the past but sometimes it’s brilliant and other times the finish is bumpy and I don’t know why! I’m also going to try Dorothy’s brush-on technique…

• #33138 Reply

Maria Carr

aldaxstore.com.au sells resin spray in Australia. As you can’t send aerosols via the mail, they will send via courier. Hope this helps 😊

• #38824 Reply

Sherry Gill

I need advice as well & you seem to be the Go- To person for a lot of peeps.
    I have a can of spray enamel. I’m trying to make a mosaic out of old DVDs, and yes it’s my first time. I’m so new to all of this But it’s fun! And I must add you are very talented. Do you think clear enamel spray would work for this project? To seal it like resin. Thank you so much and hope to be hearing from you. Happy Easter!

• #38850 Reply

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Sherry,

Thank you for your kind words. Unfortunately, I haven’t used that product so I don’t know if it would work.

• #45469 Reply

Debbie

Hi Katherine
    I hope you can help because this is driving me mad. I am embedding flowers in clear casting resin in a split mould sphere. The demold leaves a fine line that I have sanded down through the grades but even with the polish it leaves a dull surface.
    I’m following the feed because I’m sure there must be a spray or coating that can bring up a gloss finish. I’m in the UK. Any ideas?
    Great page by the way, so helpful.
    With thanks

Reply To: Is there an alternative to Resin Sealant Sprays?
Your information: