Large volume cast

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Jared

Good morning!

I have this idea I’ve been kicking an idea around in my head for a year and after deciding I’m going to do it, I started my research and I think I’ve come up with some potential issues I want to hammer out…

The project:
      I want to add a series of small electronics (LED lights and an integrated circuit board to control them) to a skull shaped bottle (Crystal skull vodka) and add resin, maybe some color or glitter to it to protect the components and diffuse the lights. I would prefer that there were a ton of bubbles as that would add to the diffusion of the lights. Ideally when powered on the skull would glow and the resin / bubbles would diffuse the lights.

The potential problems I see:
      – The bottle has a small opening and wont let a ton of air get to the resin. (not sure if that will impact the resin’s ability to harden)
      – The bottle has a volume of 750ml / 26-27oz and I’m assuming that a large volume of resin has it’s own problems
      – The resin is encapsulating electronics. I don’t believe resin to be conductive, but Im guessing glitter (foil) would be.
      – (The largest potential issue): This is my very first resin project, and I fear it is too ambitious.

Things that work in my favor:
      – I’m an ace with the electronics. I’ve done a number of wearables and light up projects.
      – I have a month before I want to be finished. (This will end up being a decoration for an evening party)
      – I found this site which appears to be a great resource.

So… with all that being said… where should I start? What should I do / plan for to give me the best possible option for success? Should I give up now as this is likely to turn into a big, goopy mess?

Thanks in advance!

Jared

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Jane,

You have a lot going on here!

I want to help you with your project, and I think this situation is best suited for a one-on-one consulting call where you and I talk back and forth about what’s going on. A 15-minute consultation call is $20. I do them by video so I can have a chance to see what you are working on.

If you are interested, please send a message through the ‘contact us’ page and I can get this going for you.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The topic ‘Large volume cast’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube