Layered Resin Paperweight

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Raven

Hello, I had a couple questions about what i may have done wrong on this, I am currently using Envirotex Lite (I know its a little bad for casting mold but i’m still doing trial and error with my molds.) I have made about a 2×2 cube paper weight with this in about 5 layers. Knowing this resin is mostly for tables and smaller layers I tried to stay thinner thinking it would help, after about 4 days of Layering and 2 inclusions later. (a wasp in layer 2 a dried flower in 3) the last day I decided to lay a bit of a thicker layer, just to see if I can fill these a tad deeper. Turned out when de-molded that the thickest layer was the best, it had less bubbles and was clearer but I had more issues than just one layer.

Okay so now I that explained my Process of my layers my real issues lie here, I can literally see every layer i added. each layer became clearer the more resin I added, so the first layer is kinda just a lot of tiny micro bubbles then 2nd it gets a little better, 3rd and so on, Is there any way i can avoid this, can i get explained maybe why the first layer which is fairly thin is so full of bubbles but the thick layer is not so bad. If a picture could help explain this further I have plenty.

Thank you!!

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Raven,

Did you pour the layers one after the other or did you wait until the previous layer was fully cured before pouring the next layer?

Raven

I waited for each layer to cure about 24 hours before pouring the next layer, it was about a 5 to 6 day process of layers.

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

You can minimize the lines between layers by pouring the next layer once the previous layer has gelled and not fully cured.

Raven

I will try that next time. I have honestly never tried to apply any layer during curing process so that will be a nice new section to add in my notes and I bet the process would be much quicker. Thank you so much for your advice!
      -Raven

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Layered Resin Paperweight’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube