Layered Resin Stripes

Home Page Forums How Can I…? Layered Resin Stripes

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Happy

Hi! I’m looking into getting into resin but what I would really like to do is make resin sphere that look almost exactly like these beads
      I’m not looking to make them into beads, but I would love to do horizontal striped marbles. Anyone have any tips? I’ve been looking for an answer everywhere but the results aren’t as sharp as these! Thanks for reading!
      Striped Beads

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Happy,

There are two ways to approach this:

1. You can cast into a sphere mold. Cast the first color, allow it to cure. Cast the second color, allow it to cure. Continue to do the layers until you have the sphere completely full. Demold and finish as necessary.

2. You can do the same approach as above, but cast into a large square or rectangular mold. You can then cut the resin and use a lathe to form it into a sphere or other desired shape. To do this approach, you will need a resin that cures very hard like a polyurethane resin. Epoxies won’t withstand the heat of this type of resin work.

Happy

Thanks Katherine!

One last question, am I able to pre colour the resin so the colour is consistent before adding the hardener? Is that a possibility or must I mix the colours as I mix the resins together?
        I’m not familiar with the terminology but I’m doing my best! Hah

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

It depends on the resin you are using. Some recommend adding to the Part A before the hardener, with others, it doesn’t matter. If you color the resin before adding the hardener, it may lighten a bit. You generally see this more with transparent colors versus opaque colors. (and you are doing fine on the terminology)

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

This article will give you some ideas on how to make striped jewelry: https://www.resinobsession.com/resin-tutorials/how-to-make-resin-orb-jewelry/

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Layered Resin Stripes’ is closed to new replies.