Layering two colors at the same time?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Heather

Hi everyone!
      I need to finish a project in the next two days (needs to be cured by Thursday morning!) and was hoping that someone could answer a few questions:
      I painted a washer with alcohol inks and want to fill the center with black colored resin, then dome it with a layer of clear resin. (My goal is for it to look like an eye, with the black center as the pupil). Would it be possible to do this in one session (mix a batch, tiny a small bit black, fill he center, then move straight to pouring the rest of the resin on top of everything to create a dome)? Or would the black layer bleed into the clear dome, ruining the perfect black center that I’m aiming for? Or should I do the black first, then the clear dome? If so, how long would I have to wait between pours?
      Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

HI Heather,

If you pour the black resin and the clear resin within minutes of each other, they will mix. You are going to need to wait for the black resin to partially cure before pouring the clear resin to keep them looking separate.

The time from when you can pour another layer of resin without it mixing with the first varies from resin to resin. Just guessing here, but I’m betting it’s an hour or two, based upon the clear resins I have used.

Heather

I’m using envirotex easy pour, if it helps. Any experience with it, especially for my situation?

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

I have never used a resin called Envirotex easy pour. You can always keep a little bit of mix resin in your mixing cup. When it’s no longer liquid or gooey, you can pour the next layer.

Randy

No, you’ll have to wait like an hour or so, or it will bleed.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Layering two colors at the same time?’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube