looking for the right resin?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Samantha C

Hello!

I’ve been making doll miniatures for a few years and recently began making Barbie doll jewelry. I’m having an issue with the necklaces & tiaras being too brittle. If you can imagine how thin and tiny the pieces are you’ll certainly understand how an incredibly low viscosity is crucial.

I use a low viscosity, shore A 15 silicone to make my molds, as it captures the tiny details of my prototypes and is highly flexible. Needless to say I have to use a very low viscosity casting resin to fill those tiny spaces and limit bubbles. And my squishy soft molds would never stand up to a pressure chamber. I also use different liquid tints and powder pigments to color them.

I suspect the mica & pigment powders contribute to the brittleness of such tiny pieces. Perhaps such a low viscosity resin is more brittle? Maybe I shouldn’t use epoxy? However, I’ve always been under the assumption that polyurethane was even more brittle with a higher risk for bubbles.

Is there a particular brand of super low viscosity resin that is also non brittle or a bit more flexible? Should I try a different brand pigment powder?

Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks so much for your time:)

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Samantha,

You’re right. Low viscosity resins (epoxy and polyurethane) cure hard. I can see how that’s a problem since it sounds like they crack when you try to flex them.

Have you looked into 3D printing options?

Samantha C

I have. I’ve been reading reviews of various brands and resins for the past few years, actually lol.

I suppose the hefty upfront costs, coupled with learning the design software, have been the biggest deterants. I’d really love to get into it when I have the time. And to be honest, all the money I’ve spent on experimenting with different materials, I could have a pretty decent 3d printing set-up right now lol.

But valuable bit I’ve learned is that, when color needs to be consistent from batch to batch, you can pre-tint/color part B (Hardener) and store for repeat use. It won’t alter or inhibit the cure, at least for a few months. 9 weeks is the longest I’ve tested. I haven’t tested every brand, of course, but I have tested Castin’ Craft’s Clear Cast, Alumilite’s Amazing Clear Cast, and a slew of no name brands.

The one exception (so far) is ArtResin. The dye must be oil based (no h2O) and you must pre-tint part A, the resin.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The topic ‘looking for the right resin?’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube