Lots of ideas: Need help understanding!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Michelle

Hi.  First time poster, however I have stalked the page whenever Ive needed to look things up about resin.  I have only been dabbling with it for the past few months.  I have much to learn and much I want to accomplish, but I cant seem to find answers or something that says it in laymans terms!

I work primarily with polymer clay.  Some sculpting, some jewelry.  Most of my jewelry is in the form of chainmaille.  I have been wanting to create something that is a bit different, unique to me and so the idea of using resin was born.

Ive only used the EasyCast (2 part Epoxy, right?)  I know there are many different kinds and I feel overwhelmed by some of the technical terms when trying to determine how to accomplish what Im trying to make.  I have multiple questions and if anyone can assist on any of the points, I would be super grateful for the insight.

1.  Mold making: 3d molds – I have determined how to properly do this and Ive decided I will attempt it with the Smooth-On products in silicone.  However, I want to do all sorts of things with it!  From pendants, spheres and gauges to my sculptures from clay. My sculptures are small – not more than 6" generally.  Sometimes, the smaller ones are just right to be used as a pendant. 

So this leads me to my questions:
        a.  Is there a better resin to be using for pendants than the EasyCast?
        b.  Would I be able to use the same resin (Or even the EasyCast) for the sculpture?
        c.  Ive read about fiberglass resin being used for sculptures and I am confused as to what that is compared to what is being used for jewelry. 

2.  Ear gauges – Ive had a hard time finding molds to make them.  You see them all the time and Im aware of using tunnels (and I have), but I would like to do others.  Is this an item I will have to create a mold for myself or is there a place anywhere in this world where I can get them? (Etsy is very limited and not quite what Im looking for.)  Also, how does it react with the skin and do I need a sealer for that?  Will the sealer be safe on skin?  Should you always seal the resin when finished?  What should I be using for that?

3.  I would like to make some items in resin and attach them to other materials.  I have jewelry grade glues and other glues, but I am unsure as to which is best to use with resin.  Mostly attaching resin to baked polymer clay, although attaching it to glass interests me greatly.  Some sort of decorative glass, goblet.  Oh.. wood.  That interests me too.

4.  Heat caution on jewelry – People never take care of jewelry the way that they should it seems, and I would like to be able to give some information to them about what they are wearing, whether the item is 100% resin or mixed materials.  If someone is out in the sun all day – a hot day at the park, lets say – is the item going to be fine? 

Ok, I think that satisfies me for now, haha.  Sorry for the slew of questions!  I just find that on the internet, you seem to be the most knowledgeable source.

Michelle~

Michelle

Another question… lol, sorry.

Ok, so I have read that acrylic paints can be used on top of a finished a piece.  Is this correct? 

😀

Katherine Swift

Wow, lots of great questions!  I have a few more for you to help me give you the best advice.

1.  What kind of pendants will you be making?  With a mold?  In bezels?
      2.  How complex are your sculpture designs?  Lots of undercuts?
      3.  Have you ever worked with fiberglass resin before?

Here are some of my comments to your other questions:

I dont have any experience making ear gauges.  It looks like something you will have to make a mold of yourself.  I wouldnt use Easy Cast resin for these as it is a relatively soft casting resin, even when cured.  The body heat from someones ears will warp the gauges. 

I have never had a problem with cured resin against the skin, but I dont specifically know about ear gauges.  I would be just as concerned about using a spray as I would the resin itself in terms of making it hypoallergenic.  I would suggest checking with the resin manufacturer directly about their recommendations.

As for adhering resin charms to findings.  I like to use E-6000.  You can find it here:  https://www.resinobsession.com/ItemPage/5884/E-6000-Epoxy-Jewelry-Adhesive-Restricted-shipping.html

Your concern about resin in the sun is valid.  I always advise people to never leave their resin jewelry sitting in the hot sun, hot car, etc.  Generally if they are wearing it, I dont find its an issue, but leave it on a metal table poolside and you are going to have problems.

Yes, acrylic paints can be used on cured resin.

Michelle

Thank you for answering so quickly!

As for your own questions: 

1.  I will be using all sorts of molds!  My head is overflowing and now I have even more questions!    Some of them will be in bezels and some of them wont be.  I do have a concern about thinner molds.  They seem to be quite flexible – which is fine for me – as long as its fine in general, although I would not be opposed to a firmer resin. 

2.  I have never worked with fiberglass resin.  I only learned about it a couple days ago as I was looking up resin sculptures.

3.  Not sure if you can see this:  https://www.etsy.com/transaction/249879964

I can make them simpler so there are less crevices.  If you cant see the link, its a Christmas dragon, holding a candy cane and a wreath on her tail with a santa hat.  Were I planning to make a mold of that, Id have removed the wreath.  There would be a number of spikes that i would like to not have to alter, but I would if necessary.

What would you recommend for jewelry purposes?  I saw the mold making kit you guys sell and I think I might opt for that.

Michelle

Once again, thank you.  Youve provided me with so much!

I am hoping that soon I will have some money.  As soon as I do, I will be buying those two items from you.  I looked at them last night and I think they will do what I need. 

Thanks!!

Katherine Swift

Since the Easy Cast if soft, I wouldnt use it for the mold castings either.  I ask about fiberglass resin because the smell is horrible.  If you havent worked with resin much, I wouldnt suggest starting there. 

An epoxy or a polyurethane resin is a great place to start.  I would suggest an epoxy to begin with and gain some skills.  Polyurethanes cure much more quickly, but also mean that you cant waste time.  In the beginning, you will be learning as much as anything and the epoxy will give you more pot time to do that.

The Resin Obsession super clear resin is specifically designed for molds.  It mixes with a thin viscosity, so bubbles are almost never a problem.  You can find it in our clear resin category.  https://www.resinobsession.com/Clear-Resin.html  If you are doing sculptures, polyurethanes are good as well since they cure very hard.  The Alumilite amazing casting resin is a polyurethane:  https://www.resinobsession.com/ItemPage/5498/Alumilite-Amazing-Casting-Resin-16-oz.—Opaque-White.html

Unfortunately, I cant see anything from the link you provided me, but one of our silicone mold making kits (#2 or #3) should work fine for your purpose.  There is an explanation on both product pages helping you to choose which silicone is best depending on the shape/design of your model.    https://www.resinobsession.com/Silicone.html  It may need to be a two part mold as well — something which is important to the demolding process. 

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Lots of ideas: Need help understanding!’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube