maintaining glossy look inside piece

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Alex Weidenbenner

So i am making a table with rocks in the middle of it. i have poured a thin layer over the rocks thusfar. this seals them so they won’t leak pesky air bubbles and pins them to the table. i love the way they currently look. only problem is that it is super bumpy and not a great table…the fix for this is to pour a flood coat of epoxy over it and make it level but i am worried i’ll lose the glossy-wet look i have in favor of it looking like a bunch of embedded rocks in a table. i know that epoxy doesn’t bond well to cured epoxy and i was hoping that that would give me the look i want but i’m kinda scared that the break between layers won’t be obvious enough. any tips?

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Alex,

Epoxy does bond well to itself. If you pour another layer on top of what you have, the rocks will look like they are embedded in the resin and will likely lose the ‘wet’ look you are trying to keep.

Have you considered finding a way to suspend a piece of glass, acrylic or something similar over the rocks? That will allow people to have a place to set items, but when you look through, it looks as though there is a resin ‘river’ with rocks in it.

Alex weidenbenner

Yeah a friend of mine recommended that as well. It is an option I suppose.

I am worried that it will be difficult to clean if anything gets spilled and glass can break. A poured resin finish on the other hand doesn’t suffer those problems

I am wondering if hairspray, lacquer or wax would prevent the layers from bonding and save the aesthetic. (Just wondering if u have experience with any of these not working…I will be testing these options on small samples)

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Wax would prevent the layer from sticking, but you would then be able to lift the top piece of resin off of bottom piece of resin. Are you going to have this in a box frame of some sort?

Alex

There is a wood frame around it and I don’t plan on treating the entire surface….just most of it 🙂 does wax discolor the resin when u pour on top of it?

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

If you use a clear wax, I would expect you would be okay. The product I like to use is ‘Renaissance Wax’. It’s a woodworking wax, but leaves a very fine finish.

Alex

Thanks! I will definitely try that first 🙂

alex

alright. i tried out a thin coat of trewax clear and it didn’t give me the barrier i’m looking for…next attempt is to try out golden gel medium. i just pooured the first test piece for that one and it’s looking like the gel medium is going to disappear inside the resin (ie, not visible after pour)…this is a weird puzzle…

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Thanks for the update. Looking forward to hearing more.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • The topic ‘maintaining glossy look inside piece’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube