make a resin panel to put in a wooden box lid

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      stan

I would like to put a resin panel in a wooden box lid frame. panel will have flowers and leaves and such in the resin. the panel will be 12″x18″ and I figure approx. 1 1/8 to possibly 1 1/4 thick. Items will be dried and sprayed to hold color and not bleed. Is there a product that has a watery consistency that one can use to do a single pour or would I have to make multiple pours. I want a clear resin. Furthermore, after resin cures, is it able to be worked with power tools without shattering. I want to use carbide shaper cutters to work the sides. If poured into proper mold, will the side facing up self level and be smooth as glass or will it need to be ground and polished? Please be kind enough to state what products you would use for this project. thank you

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Stan,

Do you have a mold for this or are you hoping to pour over a flat surface without sides? That will help me with a recommendation.

stan

I will build or buy a mold.

stan

Katherine, what I want to do is take a piece of flexstone and put it on the bottom of a mold. flexstone is a actual piece of stone manufactured in sheets. on the top of that I want to put frieze dried roses or whatever is in season over the flexstone. It could be flowers, fern leaves or whatever is in season. They would need set face up in the mold. I am guessing the resin needs to be very viscous. when poured into the mold, to keep air bubbles from forming. When poured, the bottom of the mold has nothing to do with clarity. the top part needs to cure flat and clear. since I do not work with resin, is this a possible situation. I do hope so but if not I will have to rethink my game plan. the face up side of the poured mold will be the side one sees. again, I hope the product used will be able to be machined to make a panel to fit in a door or a wooden framed lid. I hope that I have made myself clear as to what I would like to do. This will be my first resin project. I do hope it is a possible project. If it is, I can make some income on this project. thank you

Katherine Swift
          Keymaster

Hi Stan, since you want to be able to machine it, you will need to use a clear polyurethane resin. We don’t sell them, but instead recommend going to alumilite {dot} com to purchase them.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The topic ‘make a resin panel to put in a wooden box lid’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube