Make resin panels for a lampshade

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

This question comes from Linda:

I was wondering if a person could make resin panels and use the panels to make a lamp shade? I was concerned with the heat from the light bulb (even though the lamp shade would have some clearance from light bulb) would the heat radiated be too much for the panels and they might droop?

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Linda,

I think if you use a resin that cures very hard, and it’s a low wattage lightbulb, I wouldn’t expect the panels to drop out.

For a project like this, I would use one of our casting resins. Both cure to the hardness of glass. You can find it in several sizes in our store here:

For pours of 3 ounces or less, the Resin Obsession super clear resin is what you want: 
      https://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/resin/resin-obsession-super-clear-resin

For pours of 3 ounces or more, the Resin obsession deep pour casting resin will work: 
      https://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/resin/resin-obsession-deep-pour-resin

John

The only think that I see that might be an issue is that the heat from the light bulb may soften the resin panel.

Laura

I love this idea …was going to use stained glass in an Ikea openwork metal lampshade, but think resin would work better. Should silicone be used to adhere the resin panels to the frame? If not , any suggestions for a strong resin to metal bond? Thank you! Laura Lyn

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Hi Laura,

As long as you have a clean, fresh metal surface, the resin will adhere well.

Laura
      Stacey Grimes

HOW WOULD I BEGIN TO DO THIS? ID LOVE TO LEARN!

Pamela

I am inspired to do a sculpt that serves as a chandelier.
      My concerns are the same, weight, UV stability, and heat tolerance.
      As for the heat issue, I would go with an LED light with no or very very low heat emitting standard. LED’s usually are much cooler than regular light bulbs anyways.
      What kind of resin could I use for my project? Any advice would be very much appreciated. I love that we as creative artists have more access to tools and products than ever before and at such great prices points! Create on fellow artists!

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Make resin panels for a lampshade’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube