Making a cube out of resin

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

This question comes from Howard:

Hello. I’m looking to have some things preserved in resin about the size of a 4″ cube and am looking at the TotalCast Clear Artwork resin. The description mentions paperweights and there are pictures of a bracelet and bowl. Would this work for 4″ cubes? Are there tutorials on how those bracelets and bowls were made? Where would i be able to get a mold in about the size i’d like, and finally, would i be able to sand/polish TotalCast if i wanted a frosted bottom for instance?

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Howard,

Yes, you can use the TotalCast resin for casting 4 inch cubes, but it has been my experience that because it mixes so thick and has a short pot life, it’s not the resin I would choose for this project. I would go with the Resin Obsession super clear resin since it mixes in a thinner viscosity and is designed for molds. You can find it in several sizes in our store:

https://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/resin/resin-obsession

This FAQ on the resin may help you as well: https://www.resinobsession.com/resin-frequently-asked-questions/resin-obsession-super-clear-resin-faq

There is also a link to a PDF in this article that compares the TotalCast and Resin Obsession resins, along with the other resins we sell. https://www.resinobsession.com/resin-frequently-asked-questions/resin-casting

We don’t have a 4 inch cube mold, but if you have a template, you can make your own. You can also try building a box lined with wax paper to serve as your mold. The resin won’t stick to wax paper after it has cured.

Once your resin is cured, yes, you can sand the bottom to make it frosted. The coarser the sandpaper, the more frosted it will appear.

Let me know how else I can help. 🙂

Howard

Hello! Thankies for the info! I look forward to ordering the RESIN OBSESSION Super Clear Resin. I hope the 12 ounce kit will be enough. Am i correct in reading the FAQ as mixing and pouring 3 ounces at a time? If so, i can pour one batch, then start positioning what i want to preserve before pouring more to cover everything. Maybe i’ll even add some glitter to the bottom layer or something. I like how it says that bubbles are almost never a problem as i can’t afford a vacuum chamber or anything of the sort right now.

One further question: is there a sealer i can buy at my local hardware store since the Castin’ Craft Gloss Resin Sealer Spray won’t ship to Canada?

Thankies again!

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Howard,

Yes, you are correct in that you should not mix more than three ounces at once. Yes, you can pour a batch, get your next batch of items ready, then pour again.

As an alternative to the resin gloss sealer spray, you can try a clear, acrylic based spray.

Howard

Hello again. Would someone be able to help me identify why my order only has one UPS shipping option please and thankies? I would prefer USPS here in Canada.

These are the contents of my shopping cart thus far:

Pearl Ex powdered pigments – Brilliant gold
      Pearl Ex powdered pigments – Reflex violet (carbon sold out)
      Moon and stars coaster mold 768
      Stampendous glass glitter – Champagne
      Resin Obsession Super Clear Resin 12 oz kit

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Howard,

Because of Department of Transportation shipping regulations, the super clear resin (along with several other of our resin products) can only travel to you via UPS. More information on that can be found here: https://www.resinobsession.com/resin-frequently-asked-questions/why-are-there-shipping-restrictions-on-certain-resin-and-resin-items

Howard

I see now. Thankies. Might be cheaper for me to place two separate orders then because of the duties.

Howard

1st order placed! I’ll have to hold off on the 2nd since i have to see if i have enough for the duties without borrowing for it again. Thankies for all the help!

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Happy to help Howard. 🙂

Howard

Hello. Thursday morning around 3am the resin out out for delivery. IDK if the site has been updated for Daylight Savings Time because i saw a post for almost an hour ahead of the current time when i refreshed while waiting for delivery. The resin never came by Thursday when i was waiting all day after having stayed up the night before. Then i went to bed early Friday and got a notice about how much i need to pay when i was sleeping. Today i woke up before 2am and have been waiting for the resin and when i refreshed the tracking page it said 2nd delivery attempt made at 10:53 -_- I hope i can get the resin tomorrow so it won’t end up going back.

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Hi Howard, would you mind sending us an email directly to info [at] resinobsession {dot} com? We are happy to help you get your package.

Howard

I got my resin! Now i can go sleep!

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Awesome! Although we thought you might be so excited you might want to start casting…. *wink*wink*

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Making a cube out of resin’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube