Making a mold of my logo

Home Page Forums Molds and moldmaking Making a mold of my logo

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

This question comes through email by Preston:

I’m going to try to get straight to the point here. I’m trying to make a wooden mold or silicone mold which ever one would be easier for my logo that I’m trying to make in 3D form and have a hole for the string to go through the middle of it. How would I go about doing this???

logo

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Preston,

If I understand you correctly, you want to make a 3-D casting of your logo, not put a paper printed version of your logo into a clear resin casting.

First, you are going to need a ‘shape’ to ‘glue’ your casting, otherwise, it’s going to be a bunch of pieces. I’m thinking something like this:

logo with drawing

Once you get your shape around your logo, you are going to need a hard copy. A 3-D printer should be able to do this for you. I’m surmising that you will either want your logo to be raised or recessed into the overall shape in order for you to see the difference/detail. To get your hole at the top, you can do either two things:

1. Drill a hole on each casting.
      2. Make the hole part of the design. I’m thinking the largest dot at the top could be 3-D printed so that there is a hole in the center of the dot, like this:

logo with hole

Once you have your master, you can then cast it in silicone. (The silicone will go into the hole such that subsequent castings will have that hole.) Assuming your piece has a flat back, you can cast it much like this Lego piece in this tutorial: https://www.resinobsession.com/resin-resin-resin/composimold-reusable-mold-making-material Don’t forget as well, if you get this 3-D printed, you will want to have it printed ‘backwards’ such that a mold made from the logo will cast them with the orientation seen here.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The topic ‘Making a mold of my logo’ is closed to new replies.