Making a paperweight with flowers and resin

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

This question comes from Maria:

My name is Maria and I have a paperweight out of resin, with a flower in it that was from my aunt’s funeral. I am now wanting to make them for my nephew, however this lady has passed away and lived far away.

I need something that comes out clear like glass. I’m at a loss for what to purchase. I have the molds, from Castin Craft. I also purchased a mold on Etsy very large one I needed a 2 1/2 inch depth..however with that it turned into a 5 inch base. Not a problem the roses are quite large. I have them dried. I am attaching a picture of the one I have which is much smaller. What resin do I use? I would like to then add a base color of coral that was her favorite color. This mold I have without anything in it hold 16 oz! I once tried making one an the base never got hard it stayed tacky….

Can you please suggest what I should buy? and I have 14 of them to make!! Me and my big mouth…

Love your website and everything about it…but as I search I’m lost for what I should use..and how to get it hard.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Maria,

What is your experience level with resin? I have two in mind but would like to know more about you first.

We also have some articles on our blog talking about how to preserve flowers for resin if you haven’t already found them: https://www.resinobsession.com/tag/drying-flowers

Maria

I did only once….I wanted to make a paper weight with a rose from a funeral, I placed it in his favorite Martini glass, and it remained sticky on top. I was not happy but I had to stay with it, for the rose is the sentimental part.
      I want to make these paper weights, (like the dandelion) with the roses I have, and I want them crystal clear like the one’s this lady made us. However I was never able to find a mold that size, half round spear. It’s 3 inches (8cm) in diameter and 2 1/2 deep (6 1/2 cm) for the rose to sit in it in full form.
      The mold I have is 6 inch in diameter which is very large….16 oz, but it will work being these roses I have from my nieces sisters funeral where very large!
      I just don’t know what resin to get, I would prefer one not having to mix, as I seen with Master Craft…. I believe I have to spray with mold release….
      But desperate for help….this family lost there daughter to cancer, at 51 left 3 children, and I want them to be perfect…please help…I had sent you the pictures…

Maria

Oh sorry, I have the flowers in drying sand…and I’m great at drying them….I just need to set them in resin now….

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

For pours of 3 ounces or less, the Resin Obsession super clear resin is what you want to use: https://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/resin/resin-obsession-super-clear-resin

For pours of 3 ounces or more, the Resin obsession deep pour casting resin will work: https://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/resin/resin-obsession-deep-pour-resin

Maria LoPiparo

Yes, defiantly needs to look like it’s floating…

And if I was not new to resin? what would you suggest? How long do I need to wait in between pours of 3 oz each…..that seem very time consuming….when you have 16 of them to make….

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

A couple of hours in between each pour should be fine when using the super clear resin.

Otherwise, the polyester casting resin would be a good choice, but not something I recommend for beginners. You read why here: https://www.resinobsession.com/resin-resin-resin/polyester-casting-resin

Sandra Arney

Hello

New yo preserving fresh flowers with a resin.

I’ve got 1 average size blue carnation for 1 paperweights & 3 red carnations for the other paperweight.

I was going to use silica to dry out flowers before the resin process.

We want to put a name & date inside of the paperweight beneath the flowers.
      Will paper stand up to the resin?

What type of resin would you recommend since I’m a beginner?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Making a paperweight with flowers and resin’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube